Maglio Company’s readyripe watermelon packaging is competing (again) for the Produce Innovation Award at United Fresh 2016 in Chicago. The gusset bag designs are custom sized for ¼ cut and ½ cut sliced watermelon. They feature a large window area to allow consumers easy viewing of the quality of the fruit before purchasing.
I talked to Richard Butera, Director of Business Development about the design and the need for fresh produce companies to keep innovating.
The patented design, which is exclusively used by Maglio Companies, keeps the fruit fresh for an extended period of time—up to 11 days from the date of production – as compared to conventional plastic overwrap methods.
Along with the extended shelf-life, this packaging benefits consumers with a carry handle, a compact,resealable storage bag to use at home and the ability to purchase only the desired amount of watermelon. The benefits to retailers include the elimination of wet and unsanitary displays, lower labor rates and lower shrink rates with each piece being 100% sealeable upon arrival.
Chances are rather low that Maglio win again this year as there are quite a few interesting innovations on display this year. I find it remarkable that a food service company offers attractive innovations to foster and grow market share. Listen to the interview.
The United Fresh Produce Innovation Award has the following categories:
- Best New Fruit Product
- Best New Vegetable Product
- Best New Packing/Processing Equipment
- Best New Food Safety Solution
- Best New Packaging
This is what Maglio says about its product:
The readyripeTM watermelon solution gives sliced watermelon longer shelf life, naturally enhanced quality and convenience for today’s busy consumers.
- Innovation of pouch optimizes the quality and flavor of the watermelon, creating a new high demand offering for the retailer.
- Virtually no wicking and leaking from product, resulting in a more desirable appearance.
- Attractive design of pouch entices customer to purchase.
- This new approach can substantially improve the financial results for the retailer through increased sales revenues and reduced production and clean up expenses.
- Extended shelf life allows retailer more production flexibility, reducing costs.
- Retailer can also sell consumers watermelon pouches along with whole watermelons, increasing whole watermelon sales.
- Promotes year round consumption of watermelon.